Pokémon and Resident Evil faces are seen at its launch in Japan. Every week we bring you the weekly sales data in Japan, via Famitsu, but last week they were not shared, because it was a national holiday in Japan. Therefore, the data you see now corresponds to two weeks, the days between April 26 and May 9, 2021.
In those days, two of the most anticipated games for many players came out: New Pokémon Snap on April 30 and Resident Evil Village on May 7. Pokémon is exclusive to Switch, while Resident Evil is cross-platform (all but Switch). However, Resident Evil sales on Xbox consoles have not made it into the top 30, so only PS5 and PS4 sales have been counted.
In the global count of the two weeks, New Pokémon Snap is in the first place, selling 194,385 units in 10 days. Of those, 147,742 were in launch week (the data for that week have all been revealed together).
In the meantime, Resident Evil Village sold 149,884 in two days, slightly higher than the launch sales of Pokémon, although divided into two platforms: 111,171 on PlayStation 4 and 38,713 on PlayStation 5.
Resident Evil Village, the worst premiere of the saga in Japan since 2005
Despite being high numbers, they are far from the best of the series, and it has had the worst launch of a Resident Evil game since Resident Evil 4 in 2005. In front of the 149,885 of the Village, Resident Evil 7 sold 213,188 copies in 2017. The 2019 and 2020 Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3 remakes also sold more (265,324 and 189,490 respectively). However, digital sales are not counted, which each year represent a higher percentage.
Launch week retail sales of Resident Evil Village are the lowest for a mainline RE title in Japan since the original release of RE4 on the GameCube, third lowest of the series, barely on par with that and the original game. 35% drop from Resident Evil 7. pic.twitter.com/onZTL100Bl
– Game Data Library (@GameDataLibrary) May 13, 2021
In the global game count, another Capcom game, but exclusive to Switch, is the winner: Monster Hunter Rise, followed by Super Mario 3D World. The best seller of the year in Japan, Animal Crossing New Horizons, disappears from the top 10, we would swear that for the first time since its launch … 14 months ago.
If you want to compare, this is the sales data for the previous week. NieR Replicant, which was the best premiere that week, remains firmly at No. 7. Returnal, however, which also came out on April 30, hasn’t even made the top 30: does not seem to have caught the attention of the Japanese public, and it also doesn’t help that it’s a PS5 exclusive. Despite sales of the new console taking off in Japan, this week we saw that around 65% of Village sales were on PS4 and not on PS5.
As for consoles, Nintendo Switch sells 236,028 units and it far exceeds PS5 (53,640), counting in both cases its two models.
Japan Best Sellers (April 26 – May 9, 2021)
- 1. [NSW] New Pokemon Snap – 194,385 (new)
- two. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise – 171,067 / 2,141,438
- 3. [PS4] Resident Evil Village – 111,171 (new)
- Four. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 53,347 / 728,009
- 5. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 42,348 / 2,167,409
- 6. [PS5] Resident Evil Village – 38,713 (new)
- 7. [PS4] NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… – 37,824 / 146,662
- 8. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 31,475 / 2,554,184
- 9. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 31,045 / 3,824,997
- 10. [NSW] Minecraft – 29,549 / 1,940,130
- Switch – 170,898 (15,981,320)
- Switch Lite – 65,130 (3,771,281)
- PlayStation 5 – 44,960 (595,871)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 8,680 (116,547)
- PlayStation 4 – 2,584 (7,783,139)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 1,027 (1,163,587)
- Xbox Series X – 808 (32,060)
- Xbox Series S – 399 (10,537)