Hironobu Sakaguchi is one of the most important figures in the video game industry, after giving life to the legendary JRPG Final Fantasy saga. Now, get back on track with Fantasian, an iOS exclusive RPG which has been developed using more than 150 handcrafted dioramas, and which has certainly been received in a very good way.
Fantasian is available for iOS devices via Apple arcade, from the past April 1st. If you are subscribed to Apple’s paid service, surely you have already enjoyed Sakaguchi’s return to the JRPG, which could also be his last video game.
This new role-playing game presents us with a multidimensional world ruled by duality. Chaos and order, while the gods yearn to control both elements and take control of the world. In the skin of Leo and with almost all of our memories lost, we will have to recover them and save the world from the greed of the gods.
Fantasian has been well received by the media and the gaming community. What’s new from the creator of Final Fantasy features an average of 81 out of 100 in Metacritic, after 10 professional analysis, and whose lowest grade is 70. Let’s review these assessments:
- Pocket Gamer UK: The unique characters are charming and intriguing, the story is engaging, and the images speak for themselves. While it is currently not complete, if the second half of the game matches even a hint of its first half in quality, the game will remain a must-have title on Apple Arcade. 10/10
- Digitally Downloaded: It’s the perfect way to capture the isometric perspective of those PlayStation 1-era Final Fantasies, while ensuring it looks modern and a deliberate homage to those classic games of yesteryear. 9/10
- Everyeye.it: Fantasian is a declaration of love for both the JRPG genre and the RPG fan community. The fantasy epic, available exclusively on Apple Arcade, is an absolute gem that has nothing to envy of the great works of the past. 9/10
- IGN Japan: From the story to the music, everything in this game has been crafted with love and attention to detail, resulting in an overall excellent quality game. 9/10
- Multiplayer.it: Fantasian is a splendid homage to the classic JRPG style, under a better modern interpretation. 8.8 / 10
- Jeuxvideo.com: Fantasian is an excellent J-RPG that we can’t recommend highly enough if you’re nostalgic for old Final Fantasy episodes. 8.5 / 10
- Trigger App: Fantasian was designed by the legendary king of RPGs Hironobu Sakaguchi as a love letter to games like Final Fantasy 6. 8/10
- DestructoidI’ve played some of the RPGs available on Apple Arcade and I don’t think any have come close to matching Fantasian’s vision and execution. This is a wonderful game with an outstanding battle system brought to life with what could be the best art direction of 2021. 8/10
- Metro Game Central: Unique art style hides a game that is, for the most part, ruthlessly dated, but in a way that will please old-school Final Fantasy fans and maybe even create some new ones. 7/10
- Pocket tactics: A brilliant Apple Arcade exclusive with a brutal battle system, disappointing with unpredictable visuals and slightly off-putting plot. 7/10
/*–> * /
But if the media ratings surprise us, Fantasian shines even more in the reception of users. The new from Sakaguchi reaches a 9.5 / 10 after receiving 33 reviews from players, which they consider to be the best tribute that could be made to the classic Final Fantasy saga.
Have you tried the new game of Hironobu Sakaguchi? In case not, if you love the Final Fantasy saga, feel free to try this excellent JRPG with classic scent reminding us of those glorious days playing the first PlayStation.