Nobody doubted that Monster Hunter Rise was going to be a real sales bomb in Japan: it is an immensely popular saga in its country of origin, and for a console, Nintendo Switch, that sweeps every week, sweeping the competition.
These are the figures: 1.3 million units sold in its first week … which could have been many more, because the game is practically sold out in physical format: 94% of the stock was sold.
According to the analyst David gibson, Monster Hunter Rise fell short of the initial sales of Monster Hunter World, released in December 2017 on PS4 and Xbox One, which sold 1.35 million units. Of course, that game was cross-platform, while MH Rise is only on Switch.
Monster Hunter Rise’s initial sales worldwide have been spectacular, albeit slightly lower than World. Nothing to worry about, because Monster Hunter World is Capcom’s best-selling game in history: has accumulated 16.8 million units. Will Rise ever get over it? With the launch of the PC version in 2022, and future updates more than assured, it would not be unreasonable …
PlayStation 5 recovers, but is still a long way from Nintendo Switch
We have already seen that Nintendo currently dominates the console and video game market in Japan. However, even though it is well below Switch sales, PlayStation 5 has hit a high this week, despite the fact that there has been no relevant release for Sony consoles. With 62,000 consoles sold, it is very far from the 267,000 that Switch has sold, but it is an important increase with respect to 35,000 PS5 sold last week.
In fact, last week it was best week in PS5 sales since launch week, which suggests that the stock is gradually recovering.
Sales Japan (March 22-28, 2021)
- one. [NSW] Monster Hunter Rise – 1,302,132
two. [NSW] Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 37,166 / 592,683
3. [NSW] The Quintessential Quintuplets ∬: Summer Memories Also Come in Five – 20,374 (NEW)
Four. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 20,179 / 2,072,296
5. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 13,207 / 3,751,594
6. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 12,632 / 2,479,573
7. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 11,145 / 6,710,861
8. [NSW] Minecraft – 11,096 / 1,872,739
9. [PS4] The Quintessential Quintuplets ∬: Summer Memories Also Come in Five – 10,378 (NEW)
10. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 10,270 / 4,218,939
- Switch – 190,133 (15,558,365)
- Switch Lite – 77,364 (3,526,983)
- PlayStation 5 – 51,931 (485,476)
- PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 10,364 (94,735)
- PlayStation 4 – 2,174 (7,775,056)
- New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 933 (1,160,124)
- Xbox Series S – 847 (9,373)
- Xbox Series X – 432 (30,636)
- PlayStation 4 Pro – 15 (1,575,723)