A few days ago we saw the official presentation of the Google Pixel 4a, a mid-range smartphone that is shaping up to be a “cheap” version of the Pixel 4. In terms of design, it follows the same guidelines of said terminal, although it presents significant sacrifices both in terms of hardware and quality of finishes, both essential to reduce its sale price to 389 euros.
A step above the iPhone SE 2020 is placed, at least if we limit ourselves to the price, since the new Apple’s “cheap” iPhone tIt has a cost of 489 euros. For that money, it offers premium build quality, as it combines an aluminum chassis with a double layer of glass (front and rear), and has a state-of-the-art SoC that places it, in gross power, at the level of the iPhone 11 .
We have a price difference of 100 euros, an important figure that may be more than enough to back down to those users on a tight budget, but in terms of value for money, which of the two is the best option, the Google Pixel 4a or the iPhone SE 2020? It is a good question, and thanks to the comparative analysis they have published since MacRumors we can get an idea.
Google Pixel 4a vs. iPhone SE 2020: two different bets
I think there is no better way to describe the reality of both terminals. The Google Pixel 4a is a smartphone from mid-range It is not focused on creating value through finishes or gross performance, but rather through its excellent photographic section and its good autonomy.
By cons, the iPhone SE 2020 stands out for its premium finish and high performance, but it has an “obsolete” design, a camera that pales in comparison to that of the Google Pixel 4a and also offers less autonomy. Each smartphone has its advantages and disadvantages, and the truth is that they are so marked that it is very difficult to choose a winner. In order for this assessment to be as impartial as possible, I transmit to you, as is, the negative and positive sides of each terminal that highlights the source of the analysis.
Advantages of the iPhone SE 2020
- Premium build quality.
- Latest generation A13 SoC, much more powerful than the Snapdragon 730G of the Google Pixel 4a.
- Record video in 4K and 60 FPS with higher quality stabilization.
- Increased update support.
- Touch ID responds better and fails less.
- It has wireless recharging.
Disadvantages of the iPhone SE 2020
- Glass is more prone to breaking.
- Less RAM (3 GB) and storage capacity (64 GB).
- The rear camera captures images with much lower quality.
- Very sharp edges and IPS panel.
- It is 100 euros more expensive (in the Spanish market).
Advantages of the Google Pixel 4a
- Excellent photo quality, even at night.
- Greater autonomy.
- More RAM and storage capacity (6GB and 128GB).
- It is cheaper.
- Screen with reduced edges and OLED panel.
- Plastic is more shock resistant.
Disadvantages of the Google Pixel 4a
- Less powerful SoC.
- Economical finish and touch of «cheap» smartphone.
- Limited to 4K and 30 FPS video recording with worse image stabilization.
- The fingerprint reader is not as reliable.
- It does not have wireless recharging.
- Shorter life cycle through updates to the operating system.
I personally think that the Google Pixel 4a offers very solid value for the price. In terms of performance it borders on a good level within its range, and the quality that your camera achieves in photographs is simply impressive and typical of much more expensive terminals.
The same applies to the iPhone SE 2020, a smartphone that compensates its higher price with a superior quality of finishes, and with much higher performance. Choose between one and the other It will obviously depend on our priorities.