Samsung just unveiled the Galaxy Z Fold2 at its Unpacked event and as expected, this is an improved version of the original that started the current era of folding smartphones.
Galaxy Z Fold2 is another attempt to drive these new form factors based on the flexible / folding display technologies, with which manufacturers try to bring innovation to a smart mobile industry where everything seems to be -almost- invented.
Some of it we saw at the end of July with the Galaxy Z Flip 5G, presented outside this event surely not to confuse users because they are very different devices. If the Flip is a compact shell type, the Fold2 is a hybrid halfway between smartphone and tablet with book-like design.
Very similar to the original Fold in concept and design, Samsung has made an effort to reinforce its most compromised sections of resistance and robustness. Hidden behind the Samsung logo on the back is a new joint designed so that every time you open and fold the mobile the movement is carried out with the utmost smoothness. The screen has also been protected with the cover of «ultra-thin glass» that we have already seen in the new Flip.
The truth is that it looks great to lead the new generation of folding. And, we hope, with no robustness issues. Incidentally, its thickness is only 6 mm, unfolded, folded will be much thicker.
Screen sizes have increased slightly to 6.2 inches and 7.6 inches once fully deployed. The hardware section has not been mentioned, although it will foreseeably be the one we have been commenting on with the Snapdragon 865+ or Exynos 990 SoC, depending on the market, at the forefront.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2, specifications
- External 6.23-inch Dynamic AMOLED screen with QHD + resolution.
- 7.6-inch AMOLED internal (flexible) display with 2,213 x 1,689-pixel resolution.
- Integrated fingerprint reader on the screen.
- (Unconfirmed) SoC Snapdragon 865+ or Exynos 990, depending on market.
- (Unconfirmed) 12 GB of RAM.
- (Unconfirmed) 256-512 GB of storage capacity.
- (Unconfirmed) Three rear cameras: main (108 MP or 50 MP), 12 MP wide angle and 13 MP telephoto.
- (Unconfirmed) 10 MP front camera.
- Double 4,500 mAh battery with quick recharge.
- 6 mm thickness.
- Android 10 as an operating system with the OneUI customization layer.
Samsung’s new foldable smartphone will be available with Android 10 and Samsung’s OneUI personalization layer, in two color finishes, Mystic Black and Mystic Bronze. It is already listed in Samsung Spain and launch is expected from September 1. No price has been provided, but it will not be cheap.